Sunday, January 24, 2016

Nerf Rivals & Why we Love them

A little background about me:  I was in the Army.  I LOVED my M-16.  I was good with my M-16.  However, I broke my foot in three spots and that ultimately led to my discharge from the Army.  No more M-16 for me.  Hell, not even a simple hand gun, until about a year ago.


That's okay though.  I got to go home and be with my family and start an different chapter in my life.  I don't really claim the "VET" status.  I feel there are others who have done more and even gave the ultimate sacrifice.  They're the ones who deserve that title.  Not me.

I guess over the years, my son has realized that Mommy was in the Army.  I still wear my shirts and sweat pants around the house. I think he probably asked why I had Army clothes and I told him I was in the army.... and from there it was a crazy whirlwind.

My son LOVES everything Military.  He's talked about the Army his entire life, like it's something he knew all about.  Hell, he even told me once that he was in the Army in his past life.  It could be true.  I've always known that my one life purpose was to take care of a Soldier.  I always thought it would be a future husband or boyfriend... but as it turns out, maybe it's my own little man.  He's the soldier I'm supposed to care after.  I'm okay with this.  It's a very brave and noble thing, if that's what he chooses to do, or has already done in a past life.

SO all this brings me back to me the Nerf Rivals.  I want my son to grow up and not be afraid of guns.  He needs to know their purpose.  He needs to know how to handle them properly.  He needs to know they are DANGEROUS.  I have no issues buying him Nerf guns.  I'll even have Nerf wars with him.  He knows that in real life, you NEVER point a gun at anyone unless you intend on doing extreme harm to them.  He also knows that even with toy guys, you don't point them at people.. unless it's a Nerf gun.  And even then, you only aim from the neck down.

I was doing something with Monster, and saw an ad for the Nerf Rivals, and apparently Monster saw them too.  He was like "Mom, look at these! We need some."  And I thought "Yes, we do!".  Of course it was around Christmas time though, so they were hard to find.

Luckily (wink, wink. Nudge, nudge) Santa brought us a set.  He got the blue gun and blue mask; I got the red gun and mask, and we each got some ball (bullet) refills.   We stopped opening presents and HAD to have a Nerf Rival war, right then and there.  It was just us Christmas morning, so we could do that.

He asks "Momma, Can I shoot you so we know what it feels like?"

My response: (in my head: HELLLL NO!... ) "Yes, but I have to shoot you back so you know what to expect as well.  But you can only shoot my butt and I'll shoot you in the butt as well."

So I turn around... and He's cracking up.  Hysterically "Oh my gosh, I'm about to shoot my mom in her Butt!! Tee Hee Hee" (Yes, he actually says Tee Hee Hee).... Ready, Aim... POP-WHACK!


WTF.  Those things hit you almost as soon as they shoot.  I was NOT expecting it... at all.  It doesn't hurt.  I mean... It does a bit.  He has terrible aim so he hit my in my lower back.  It just caught me off guard that it was an actual almost instantaneous whack.  I start laughing.  I tell him it wasn't that bad. .... But Turn around, boy.  My turn to shoot you in the butt!

So he does.  We are both cracking up at this point.  Ready, Aim... POP-WHACK!  "MOMMMMMM!  That didn't hurt but that was so fast!"  Yep. Let's do this.

Rules:  You get this room, I get the kitchen.  You have 2 minutes to load your weapon, get your extra bullets ready and get your mask on.  I'm coming in Rival blazing!

Safety first, kids.  Always wear your safety masks.  (Especially when you're playing with a kid who doesn't have good aim).

You get the gist....  My kid is good.  Momma has taught him well.  We just need to work on his aim.  He hid behind a rocking chair, where I couldn't see him, and I was Army crawling around the corner to sneak up on him and he straight up sniper shot my side then started giggling and I immediately found him and shot back.

Our little game went on for about 45 minutes until we decided it was time to unwrap the next presents and put everything away before the family showed up for the BIG gift exchange.

We absolutely love our Nerf Rivals.  They're a lot of fun, and I can't wait until it's nice outside so we can play outside.


No comments:

Post a Comment