Sunday, October 9, 2016

Lip Balm Kits-Urban Kangaroo

Homemade lip balms are probably one of the easiest home made beauty products you can make for yourself. The only issue is that buying all the supplies can get pricey, if you don't know where to look.

This Urban Kangaroo lip balm set makes lip balms super easy.  It comes with everything you need and step-by-step instructions to make about 24 lip balms. This kit that I received had:

  • 24 empty lip balm tubes
  • 2 types of essential oils (Peppermint & Sweet Orange)
  • Beeswax
  • Apricot Kernel Oil
  • Shea Butter
  • Cocoa Butter
  • 1 Package of Stevia 
  • 2 droppers
  • 2 stir sticks
  • Step-by-step instructions
  • Labels 
If you read the description online, it is a bit misleading and states you get some Vitamin E oil.  This is NOT included in this kit.  I also don't like that the labels all say Urban Kangaroo; yeah, the kit is from Urban Kangaroo, but it would be more fun if you could design your own labels.

I only wanted to make a half batch and use the sweet orange essential oil.  I also added vanilla beans into the Apricot Kernel oil and let it sit for a week, to give it my own added flair.

  1. To start you have to melt the beeswax.  It's easy if you use a double boiler.  Don't put beeswax over direct heat.  It's a bad, bad thing. 
  2. Once the beeswax has melted, add the cocoa butter and melt it.
  3. Add the Shea Butter and let it melt.  
  4. Add in the Apricot kernel oil. If your wax mixture isn't very hot, then it will seize up once you add the apricot.  This is okay. Just turn the heat up a bit and let it all melt back together.  Stir it really well.
  5. Add in the Stevia and let it melt.  
  6. Add in your essential oil for flavor.  -I made half batches, so I used all of the Sweet Orange in my half batch.
  7. Use the dropper to fill 12 tubes.  -I can't do simple math apparently and had enough lip balm mix to make 14 tubes of lip balm.
  8. Let the lip balm completely cool and set up before you put the lids on.
You're done!  Seriously.  It's that easy.

The Urban Kangaroo uses ingredients that are free of:
  • Parabens
  • Sulfates
  • Synthetic Fragrances
  • Synthetic Dyes
  • Petrochemicals
  • Animal Testing
  • GMOs 
 If I had to rank this, I'd give it 4 out of 5 stars, because I was really looking forward to the Vitamin E in my lip balms.  I can't use the labels provided because I did do some simple product exchanges and additions and made the lip balms my own.  Even though the supplies were MOSTLY supplied by the Urban Kangaroo, I used my own variations of stuff.  The droppers really aren't all that great either, but they're definitely better than nothing.  This DOES make it super easy to make lip balms at home though.

I did receive this product for about 50% off of the Amazon price of $27.95. 


Amazon Link: Urban Kangaroo Lip Balm Kit

1 comment:

  1. What are the exact ingredients? maybe people could make or add something to this

    ReplyDelete